Back to Cafe Rene Cafe Rene
'Allo 'Allo Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cuts in episodes on DVD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cafe Rene Forum Index -> DVD and Video Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monsieur Alphonse
British Airman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Cuts in episodes on DVD? Reply with quote

Good moaning everybody,

I live in Belgium, where series 1 & 2 have been released recently. Upon watching the two final episodes of series 2, I noticed to my astonishment several cuts, especially in 'The Duel'. A portion of Mr Leclerc's dialogue is missing in the scene with the balloon ("I have seen it all before"...), and the end of Mme Fanny's story about the duelling tram conductors ("No room on top!") has also been cut, amongst other moments. I have checked my old VHS tapes, and they are intact. The cuts seem to have been applied at random, but well enough so they are not noticeable except to those who know the episodes by heart. I believe there is also a little cut in 'Herr Flick's Revenge', just before René enters dressed as a resistance girl.

Also, the episode titles are sometimes shown at the beginning, but mostly not. This leads me to suspect that masters of various origin (American?) have been used for these DVDs, with the cuts possibly made to accomodate commercial breaks.

I think it's an outrage that these new DVDs are incomplete compared to old broadcasts of twenty years ago.

Now I would like to know if the same cuts are present on the UK release of series 2. One would think that the Dutch versions are struck from the same masters.

Please, please check it and let me know. I will ask it only once. Wink Or twice...
whitelder
British Airman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In The Duel for the UK version, well my DVD anyway, LeClerc says "I have seen it all before.." and then the resistance girl says "But a long time ago" and LeClerc says "No just then when I dropped my needle"

As for the No Room On Top, Fanny says Came rushing towards each other shouting, No room on top and then Edith says, and what happened? fanny then says, their was a power cut and I ran off with the inspector and chortles

(I have watched allo allo wayy to many times, that was almost verbatim)
Monsieur Alphonse
British Airman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know the episodes also practically by heart, that's why I immediately noticed the cuts in this episode. Indeed the dialogues as you describe them are missing on the Dutch DVD, but present on the UK one. Different masters were used, sadly.
AlloNightHawk
British Airman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monsieur Alphonse wrote:
Yes, I know the episodes also practically by heart, that's why I immediately noticed the cuts in this episode. Indeed the dialogues as you describe them are missing on the Dutch DVD, but present on the UK one. Different masters were used, sadly.

I'm dutch and got the 'BBC Comedy Collection' of 'Allo 'Allo!. Do you have the same or a different version ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cafe Rene Forum Index -> DVD and Video Releases All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: